• Breaking News

    Tuesday, January 26, 2021

    Working fewer hours and getting more done

    Working fewer hours and getting more done


    Working fewer hours and getting more done

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 04:43 AM PST

    Tutorial on how to host your own game server on Google Cloud

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 06:39 AM PST

    Gamification for educating and building communities

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 03:50 PM PST

    Hey, as I am building a community for an open source project, I would like to explore the idea of creating virtual spaces to bring people together in a playful manner.

    Recently, as the Covid blocked the "in person" courses at my Uni, we explored the idea of building an online island with a couple of programmation courses https://coursc.ch/#. The students were highly engaged with this form of teaching, and I would like to explore even more the possibility to connect people for more "serious" topics with this kind of spaces.

    Now, I am thinking about building a small isometric space to bring people together online to work on an open source project. I would love to have something super simple to use, you open your browser and you can walk through a space and see other's avatars actually behing here and contributing to the cause. I think it will greatly enhance the social interactions.

    When I was a kid, I was playing to a MMO game with this kind of space (Example) , I would like to do something a bit more serious ofc. No need to start crazy, just a single space would be enough to start as the community is still quite small.

    Now, I have a very clear idea of how to handle the back-end as our open-source database is perfect for building games, it's all about synchronization. But, on the front and the graphism part I have no clue about the tools out there, or if there are already ready to use environments.

    Do you think I am completly crazy? Or do you have any clue on how to bring this idea to life?

    submitted by /u/Malexik_T
    [link] [comments]

    UE4 Level Design Tutorial for Massive Open World Map. I’m going to share my top tips to get you started.

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 05:19 AM PST

    "Your game is too loud!" - A presentation on measuring your game's loudness, adjusting it and what levels to aim for.

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 08:04 AM PST

    DragonRuby Game Toolkit is sponsoring Nokia Jam 3, a one-week long game jam where you have to build a game that has the resolution limitations of the old school Nokia 3310. Here's your chance to get a free license to the game engine and participate in something fun :-)

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 07:13 AM PST

    Lessons and statistics after five years as an indie developer

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 08:29 AM PST

    My game is almost finished, my apk is almost ready, what are the basic steps now to get it on Google Play store and support my game ?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 05:49 AM PST

    Hi,

    My game (made by unity) is almost finished, first game ever, but so many questions:

    1. my apk is 200mb , is it too big ? i have not started looking into the "update/patches" thing, should I (i guess I have to if I want to fix issues after uploading the apk the first time) ? is it complicated ?
    2. if I have to fix a few words somewhere, do i have to reupload ALL the apk ?
    3. my game is online (PUN2), so when i match 2 players, i check for a gameversion (string) - so if I change it because i updated something (even just text content), people will HAVE to update it... how will they know that they have to update .... they will see that no one is matching with them online.....
    4. do I have to do something with unity id for ads ? play store ?
    5. i will create all the marketing media account (facebook, twitter, etc). do they need to be linked to the google play store account for some reasons (same email? same phone?) ?
    6. for now, the game is smooth on pretty recent phones (samsung S9 .and so on). should I worry about older phones ?
    7. I want to put it on google store at 1.99 USD, I dont care if I sell 10 or 100000 , I just feel the game deserve 2 USD :) .... are there things to know about when "earning money" from selling a game (taxes ? registering as a company?)
    8. is it a stupid idea to even think of making the game payed ? it's 2 years worth of work .... :/ and also i feel making it free devalues the whole thing
    9. what is the most simplest easiest way to kinda "protect" the game against very basic modifications / cheaters / piracy (i know it WILL be pirated), just the basic thing ?
    10. so far player's data is saved at runtime in scriptable objects (i guess they are not readable in a file?)
    11. also, is all the art / assets accessible from the apk ? only dedicated people can do it or any one ?

    overall , is there a step by step guide , like a "to do list" to "publishing a game", with all the little details not to forget (create an instagram account, create a box art....etc....)

    thank you so much !

    submitted by /u/fleeingTableTop
    [link] [comments]

    This is an amazing peek at how Ben Hale, texture artist, is creating textures for the game Graven using Substance Designer. It's not actually a tutorial, more like a sneak peek at what's possible to achieve with this tool, personally I've found it very interesting!

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 09:09 PM PST

    Free 2D Art asset pack !

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 08:58 AM PST

    Hey guys, not 100% sure this is cool to post here but ive decided to make my art asset pack free to use and thought maybe some people here could get some use out of it :)

    Will probably add more content to it as time goes on, so any suggestions for stuff to add would be nice !

    https://alexsollazzo.itch.io/2d-hand-painted-asset-pack-1

    edit : no idea how to add a thumbnail/preview image

    submitted by /u/alexsollazzo
    [link] [comments]

    low poly fps puzzle game - indie game devlog

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 08:25 AM PST

    Complete guide for free and easy Unreal Engine source control with GitHub

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 03:48 AM PST

    On a 10K $ budget, what and how would you make?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 05:06 AM PST

    Just for building the game art, programming and sound, excluding things like marketing.

    The only thing you are allowed to do is game design and manage the project. Also you can't hire family or friends.

    What game would you make and how many hours of content would you aim for?

    submitted by /u/Zewy
    [link] [comments]

    How to make moving platforms in unity (Unity2D platformer tutorial)

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 07:41 AM PST

    After two years working on Dark Deity, we finally have a Steam Store page. Any suggestions for improving it from those with more experience (first game)?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 01:08 PM PST

    Neutral architecture for a game. How you do it?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 12:54 PM PST

    When you doing architecture assets, how do you make it not related to any specific country?

    If I want to make European houses and a small city map but avoid just the coping style of some random country. Where to start? Collect many references and combine them into one?

    submitted by /u/johnsmith3458
    [link] [comments]

    In need of ideas

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 06:44 AM PST

    This might be a little off topic but I'm working on a platform fighter called Cardinals. Its in the early concept phase, which basically means I'm thinking about the characters. So far I have four. However, I've gotten burnt out a bit. I think most of you can relate but essentially my mind is a blank for ideas. So to try to remedy that I'm asking here. Does anyone have any ideas for a character, a move, a character mechanic, anything. If something sparks my creativity I'll use it, & if I do I'll put you in the credits of my game as a special thank you.

    submitted by /u/SparrowRev_
    [link] [comments]

    What is something you wish you would have known earlier about Indie Game Dev?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 11:54 AM PST

    Is there anything you would like to tell your former self? Maybe about programming, teams, art, gamedesign, marketing? I would certainly tell myself to start programming earlier :D

    submitted by /u/Moaning_Clock
    [link] [comments]

    How to create a space invaders game in Unity | Part 1

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 11:39 AM PST

    Low poly art style on mobile games

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 05:16 AM PST

    Hi, I'm a solo developer and I'm developing my first true and serious 3d game, basically It's a multiplayer first person shooter with some additional mechanics; before starting I've thinked it as a game with advanced graphics and high poly models for pc, but now that I've almost finished writing game mechanics and tried doing a model I've realized how long It will take to me to just create a bunch of weapons and a character, Quixel speeds up things a bit, but I still need an insane amount of time. So I arrived to the conclusion that making a Low Poly style game for mobile phones and putting It for free with the possibility of microtransaction on mobile stores is the most viable thing I can do. I've started doing some research and found out that stores are flooded with low poly games and a lot of people started disliking them. Now I'm a step away from giving up with this game because it would require too much time for the high poly version(time that I don't have), or probably no one would like the low poly one; what should I do? I don't want to give up after 2 months of hard work but my motivation started fading away due to this...

    This is my Instagram profile where sometimes I post some renders, tell me if you like them and wich should I pick for my game pls: https://instagram.com/3d_marstation?igshid=12y8zbhse556g

    submitted by /u/TurdPedo
    [link] [comments]

    Bean Jam #5 Is Soon!!!! 3 Hours Jam

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 10:47 AM PST

    QUESTION: Am I allowed to ask player open my IG profile for a reward?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 10:26 AM PST

    Hi there. I'm developing a mobile game using Unity and I want to implement a button with text "Follow me on Instagram". When player click this button, Instagram app will open my profile and player get a reward (No need for player to really follow me, just open my profile page). I know im allowed to do this for Twitter (already seen in other games), but I'm afraid this could be violating some Instagram term. Does anyone here already make this for your own game? Does anyone knows if I'm allowed to do this?

    submitted by /u/caaaaastro
    [link] [comments]

    How To Set Up PlayFab SDK In Unity For Leaderboards Matchmaking & More

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 10:22 AM PST

    Need advice

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 10:22 AM PST

    Hello fellow game devs. I'm on the fence if I should buy a Mac or PC. I use blender and UE4. Obviously both run on each OS fine. I've had windows my whole life and wanted to get a Mac since I'm entering the Apple ecosystem pretty heavily. I know the obvious choice is a PC. But if a Mac can run blender and ue4 should I not get that. I also do some music & video editing. Also do note I'm leaning towards a laptop for either OS because I'm expecting my first born in 4 months and feel the laptop let's me run from a crying baby easier and still work on projects. So please any Mac devs tell me your experience using macOS. I'm gonna post this on several game forms so sorry if you see it a couple times. Stay safe out there.

    Windows laptop specs

    9th Gen Intel Core i7-9750H, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, 17.3" Full HD IPS 144Hz 3ms Display, 16GB DDR4

    MacBook

    Apple MacBook Pro with Apple M1 Chip (13-inch, 8-16GB RAM

    submitted by /u/BiasedGamerV
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment