• Breaking News

    Wednesday, January 27, 2021

    My Loveletter to the Sound Design and Music of Remedy's Control - would love some feedback and to know more about how it was made!

    My Loveletter to the Sound Design and Music of Remedy's Control - would love some feedback and to know more about how it was made!


    My Loveletter to the Sound Design and Music of Remedy's Control - would love some feedback and to know more about how it was made!

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 08:24 AM PST

    Top 10 Tools for Game Dev (Code, Art, Music) Which ones do you use?

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 06:36 AM PST

    Blizzard Diablo IV debugs Linux core dumps from Visual Studio | C++ Team Blog

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 09:50 PM PST

    The UNIGINE Hackathon starts tomorrow

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 09:30 AM PST

    UNIGINE Community is a free technically advanced real-time 3D engine with both C# and C++ APIs (https://unigine.com/get-unigine/ )

    Tomorrow, January 28, at 16:00 UTC, the UNIGINE Hackathon starts.

    The hackathon will be opened by a YouTube stream hosted by Denis Shergin, founder and CEO of UNIGINE - he will announce the hackathon theme and share a couple of lifehacks on its optimal passage. Watch the Hackathon Opening Stream here

    By the end of the stream, registration for the hackathon will stop and it will be possible to submit completed projects. To participate in the competition, projects must be consistent with the hackathon theme and other hackathon requirements, and the final build must be submitted before 23:00 UTC on Sunday (January 31) on this page.

    P.S. Full hackathon info: https://hackathon.unigine.com/

    P.P.S. How to register:

    1. Join the UNIGINE Discord server and write your email to the u/UNIGINE bot as a private message;
    2. Follow the instructions of the bot to create your team or find one.
    submitted by /u/GreenLeavesEric
    [link] [comments]

    Unity how to use Cinemachine in 90 seconds

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 10:56 AM PST

    Let's talk about testing

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 07:19 AM PST

    Hi, I'm a long time developer but I'm new to game development, I work for a software enterprise and I'm familiar with best practices for software development. One that always seems missing or ambiguous (or maybe just not as documented) in game development is testing.

    It would be interesting and teaching to see answers and opinions on the following:

    • How large is your project scope?
    • How are you testing? Do you write code and check the behavior once in a while each time setting up a different test scenario depending on what you write? Do you write unit/integration tests? Do you have dedicated QA?
    • What are you testing and to what extent? Do you test specific core logic only? Do you test graphics? Do you test all your scenes?

    I'll start:

    I'm working on a small-mid size mobile game with an indie team during our off time, I don't write tests at all and each time I set up a specific scenario in the scene I'm testing based on the piece of code I'm writing at the time.

    I feel there are more advantages to not writing tests at this point - fast prototyping and feedback, high motivation due to fast progress, small project scope so that it's unlikely something major will break without being unnoticed.

    The disadvantages on the other hand are - low confidence during modification to core existing logic and all bugs are found by playing the game, no way to tell a regression was introduced to the code base.

    submitted by /u/papad_p
    [link] [comments]

    Can I go into game dev if I'm not a "game jam" kind of person?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 05:30 PM PST

    So I currently work as a software engineer and I've been considering dabbling more seriously into game dev with hopes of fully switching to that industry in the future but one thing keeps holding me back: game jam culture. I have several friends from college who are really into game dev and work in game dev currently, and they're all REALLY into game jams and... I don't know, like I get that sitting down with other people to work on a project would be fun, but the whole "staying up for 4 days straight drinking coffee and eating cheese puffs" just isn't for me? I can definitely see the value in it, it's just not something I would enjoy and it makes me wonder if I would enjoy the culture side of things when it comes to game dev.

    On top of that, I've been hearing a lot about "crunch time" in game studios, it seems to be pretty standard practice in the industry and that is also not something I'd be down for. I'm sure that not every company does this - I've heard of plenty of software engineering firms that demand crushing hours and I'm lucky enough to work somewhere that's pretty chill, but I guess these things combined make me worry. Is it possible to get into game dev professionally while maintaining a healthy work life balance? Do I have to love game jams in order to succeed?

    submitted by /u/meanorus
    [link] [comments]

    Tips for writing a video game script

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 12:25 PM PST

    Hello everyone,

    I wanted to share a bit about the experience of writing a script for a video game, if you've never written one before. I had to do it recently and I wanted to write an article that could help a little to avoid the mistakes that I made. I think it is one of the things that is not given importance, but that can help a lot to maintain an attractive story and to set a goal in what you want to share or tell the player.

    In a way, the article is personal, but it has some tips that I learned from mistakes and from trying again.

    My intention is to hear other experiences of people who have written scripts for video games. Here is the link.

    https://jcubidescs.medium.com/tips-for-writing-a-video-game-script-6d54b88ceaf4

    submitted by /u/Binnacloud
    [link] [comments]

    Achieving Realistic Terminal Ballistics Using Real Life Data

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 11:53 AM PST

    Realms of Eternity 2021 #1 Update Trailer

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 11:52 AM PST

    Do you know any "light" book/guide about common solutions for game dev?

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 05:31 AM PST

    What I would like to know is if you know about books/guides/whatever that work as a collection of common practices for a game, or like common solutions. With game dev I mean dev in general, it could be programming, designing but also art and music tips.

    For example, I've just discovered Perlin noise and what it can be used for. Just knowing this, without too many details about it, sparkled in me the curiosity and also make me think that I could do something with it.

    It could be the same also for more trivial things, like use damping/friction for movement or algorithms for AI like A stars, pathfinding, finite state machines for behaviors and so on.

    These are all things that when you briefly know they exist, it makes you feel that those impossible tasks are not so impossible, because you are given the tool, or, at least, you know they are there.

    It would be best if it was not in deep on these concepts (that's why I say "light"), but more of a general overview to make you interested and also to make you quickly see them and then decide which you would like to expand (with some other source).

    Compared to like a book ONLY for AI that goes in deep, this would be more like an overall tour made to inspire while also giving you a hint of what you would need.

    It would also serve as a way to let you know how to do those things that seem impossible but that may have a simple concept behind them.

    Do you know something like this? To be honest, something written would be best but a youtube channel could be nice too of course. If you don't know about it, would you like it if there was one?

    submitted by /u/_Toccio_
    [link] [comments]

    I am designing a faction/politics system for my game. Feedback appreciated.

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 08:20 AM PST

    Below is the faction system that I'm designing for my game. It is a rough draft and can use a lot of improvement. I'm interested in how people are thinking about it and appreciate any honest critique/feedback. Thanks in advance.

    Note: this will happen in an Open-World RPG style game.

    A. Factions:

    Each faction will hold territory in the game(much like in Skyrim). Their territory can be contiguous or scattered throughout, and each piece of territory will contain camps that help the faction assert control. There will be random events in the game that change how factions perceive each other. There are several states:

    1. alliance: factions will trade with each other and provide aid when their allies are being attacked. I'm even thinking about "royal marriage" between factions like in Europa Universalis.
    2. friendly: factions will trade with each other while having occasional commune activities like hunting in the same group.
    3. passive-aggressive: factions will have occasional conflicts/skirmishes/quarrels with each other.
    4. openly hostile: they will raid the associated camps of hostile factions. On successful raid will result in the losing faction planning revenge.

    Each event will change how each faction perceives eachother. Friendly events are more likely to occur between allies. However, incidents can still occur between friends and they can turn against each other. The player will be able to influence the relationships of factions. For instance, destroying a faction's camp and leaving the banner of the faction's ally can turn them against each other, etc.

    B. Camps:

    I'm thinking about adding randomly generated camps throughout the map(i.e. their locations, populations, number of different kinds of NPCs will differ). The camps can trade with players and each other. Each camp will have an associated faction. Depending on the diplomacy between these factions, camps can initiate raids on hostile neighbors. Each camp will also gather resources from its surroundings. Camps, if left unchecked, will grow and create sub-camps. Some faction quests can ask the player to massacre an entire camp / protect a camp from raid / frame another faction for an incident, etc.

    C. Wars

    When two factions reach a breaking point after a series of raids and skirmishes, they will fight a war against each other. The map will randomly choose designated "battlegrounds" in which the majority of fighting NPCs of each faction fight each other. Other factions can take advantage by raiding the poorly defended camps of warring factions.

    submitted by /u/CheapRecommendation6
    [link] [comments]

    Indie game advice needed

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 10:21 AM PST

    I've made a short text adventure, but abandoned it and got stuck cause the combat wasn't intuitive. For combat, all I did was put a binary choice of buttons on a timer- if you made the wrong choice, you'd still go to the next stage of the fight (or win against low level enemies) but you would loose health. It feels too far out of the players control to get hurt over or lose the game choosing the wrong of two equally viable options like "dodge attack" and "block with shield".

    I was thinking of an undertale-esk way to make combat work using my 1-bit black and white color scheme, but I would love ideas.

    Some kind of short minigame on a timer, if you fail the game, you miss your attack and get hurt.

    An among us style wire connect ? A short 6-card-3-pair matching game of swords shields and bows?

    I need something short, simple, and fun I can put on a timer. Any ideas?

    Twitter gif of game

    submitted by /u/whalics
    [link] [comments]

    Whats the workflow for creating an interior 3d level/map?

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 09:50 AM PST

    Are interior levels modeled outside of the game engine and then brought in?

    Or is the layout/walls created inside Unity/Unreal then individual art models brought in for the details.

    I can see it happening both ways but I figured the modeling of even the base level (walls and floors) are done outside of the game engine then imported.

    Is Probuilder used mainly for quick prototyping of a level or do people actually use it in the workflow of a finished level?

    Are there any good resources to develop an interior map like in Phasmaphobia?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/KunfusedJarrodo
    [link] [comments]

    My Second Devlog Is Now Out, I'm New To Editing And Would Love Any Feedback

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 09:45 AM PST

    UE4: Any ideas on how to make similar painterly effect when the Light is hitting the object?

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 09:42 AM PST

    How to keep Unity made Android game opened in the background

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 05:55 AM PST

    When putting the game in the background in an Android phone and then starting playing it again after a while will cause the game to restart. With Unity logo and everything. Many games from play store don't seem to do this. Is there a way to avoid this behavior and continue playing immediately without restart.

    submitted by /u/AlreadyGoogledIt
    [link] [comments]

    Rim lighting is a useful technique to help objects stand out from a dark background. I made a tutorial on how to add it to your Unity URP shader graphs!

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 12:42 PM PST

    Guise of Honour | Announcement gameplay trailer

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 12:33 PM PST

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=XSP8fu78f0s&feature=share

    My first demo made with Godot. A demo will be released in a few weeks on itch.io, and I am so excited!

    This trailer is one level of the game. The menu music and art assets are not mine except the trophy but the code and main music is original!

    submitted by /u/Elimin8or2000
    [link] [comments]

    Simple Question for developers, rocket science for me

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 06:31 AM PST

    Please can someone tell me that How can I use the same settings as the server(master server which creates the room) in the clients instanced who use connect to the room?

    I am making a simulation and there are only 3 things (core rotation, sphere rotation, and player speed), Now I want only the room creator to change them, but I want to use the changes in all client instances which are of course on other PCs.
    I am using PUN for Multiplayer and Playfab for User Accounts. with Teacher and Student Tags. and I want only the teacher to change these, and it gets changed inside the student instances when they join the room.

    submitted by /u/CCKAK
    [link] [comments]

    Which file format is industry standard for texture maps?

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 12:20 PM PST

    Hi r/gamedev ! I'm attending a college course on video game art. My instructors seem to insist on using TGA's instead of PNG's. Neither of them have worked in the industry in over 10 years. Which is most widely used nowadays? Which is more efficient? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Asw0deus
    [link] [comments]

    Rediscovering Tetrominoes - Marbleous Blocks launches on Steam today!

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 12:00 PM PST

    Can't sleep? Make a f***ing game and play it. Type:Android Game

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 11:57 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment