• Breaking News

    Sunday, May 17, 2020

    When all code is just 'business logic' where does the Computer Science come in Computer Science

    When all code is just 'business logic' where does the Computer Science come in Computer Science


    When all code is just 'business logic' where does the Computer Science come in

    Posted: 16 May 2020 11:18 PM PDT

    Are there any viable alternatives to digital electronics as a physical substrate for computing and would it be possible to exceed current computational limits using such technology?

    Posted: 17 May 2020 12:02 AM PDT

    I am aware of unconventional computing but it seems like those are extremely small areas of research.

    submitted by /u/battle-obsessed
    [link] [comments]

    New integer multiplication algorithm related to Collatz conjecture

    Posted: 16 May 2020 05:37 AM PDT

    Drawbacks of having a large Branching factor in a B-tree

    Posted: 17 May 2020 03:33 AM PDT

    In this paper by Demain, et al: a new data structure is proposed where a tree of B-trees is implemented to achieve dynamic optimality. In the entire paper, it is assumed that the B = (logN)^O(1).

    Similar to Tango trees, here also preferred paths are created using the previously accessed nodes. These preferred paths are stored as auxiliary b-trees, and a tree of these auxiliary trees is created. This dynamic tree is called Belga-B tree.

    When we are searching for an access sequence, we can access a node of the b-tree and the higher the branching factor is, lesser nodes need to be accessed to search for a key. But the authors have put a limit on B = (logN)^O(1).

    I fail to understand the significance of this. We know that the more the branching factor is, less would be the height of the tree and hence less time of access. Why is there a restriction on the value of B?

    Even when the algorithm is explained, nowhere have they used the fact that B is polynomial in logN.

    Also, I fail to understand where they have exactly used red-black trees. Because the final data structure is a tree of B-trees.

    submitted by /u/Brilliant_Handle
    [link] [comments]

    Do you have experience with mental health mobile application? A short questionnaire for my dissertation thesis

    Posted: 17 May 2020 01:04 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I would be very grateful if you could fill out a short questionnaire about experiences with mobile applications focused on mental health and wellbeing. It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

    Link: https://forms.gle/XU557avDn4TZxJxY9

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/nexiiii
    [link] [comments]

    Maths to algorithms books?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 12:28 PM PDT

    Hello. I'm having a rough time transforming maths formulas and models into algorithms in code. I wanted to know if there are some books that you recommend that could guide me with that. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/void_patissier
    [link] [comments]

    Mathematics courses that would help me think like a computer scientist

    Posted: 16 May 2020 10:34 AM PDT

    I would like some suggestions for online mathematics courses that would help me solve coding problems and learn computer science topics with ease. I always feel like I don't know much and lack the necessary mathematical background to do well in the field.

    I have completed Introduction to Mathematical Thinking by Prof. Keith Devlin, Stanford. I'm currently going through Single Variable Calculus by Prof. Robert Ghrist, UPenn, and Linear Algebra Foundation to Frontiers by Prof. Robert van de Geijn, UT Austin.

    For people who are into online courses, are there any courses that really helped open your eyes to the beauty of maths and realize how it is intertwined with everything in computer science? Something that helped you start thinking differently or approach problems differently?

    The length of each and every course worries me too. I try my best to complete courses, but I'm always disappointed with how long it takes me to complete a single course. I really want to learn a lot but it is really hard to do so quickly. Hence courses that give the biggest returns on investment would be highly appreciated.

    Kindly let me know if this post would be a better fit for r/learnmath, r/math, or some other subreddit.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/1024bytes
    [link] [comments]

    How applications actually use application layer protocols?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 06:34 AM PDT

    I have gone through application layer protocols but I can't find any guide or text on how applications actually use application layer protocols. All the texts which I have gone through only explain about the protocol but not how the protocols are used practically. For instance, how a web browser is able to use the HTTP protocol.

    It would be great if anyone shed some light on this. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/the-crazy-programmer
    [link] [comments]

    How applications actually use application layer protocols?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 06:31 AM PDT

    I have gone through application layer protocols but I can't find any guide or text on how applications actually use application layer protocols. All the texts which I have gone through only explain about the protocol but not how the protocols are used practically. For instance, how a web browser is able to use the HTTP protocol.

    It would be great if anyone shed some light on this. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/the-crazy-programmer
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment