• Breaking News

    Monday, May 11, 2020

    Things to focus on as a high school student interested in CS? Ask Programming

    Things to focus on as a high school student interested in CS? Ask Programming


    Things to focus on as a high school student interested in CS?

    Posted: 11 May 2020 02:49 PM PDT

    I know some programming basics and decided to ask this as I was getting back into the routine by playing around with some silly basic programs I wrote in the past.

    Are there any specific things I should focus on before entering university for CS, and eventually the industry? I feel as though it would be a smart move for the rest of my life/career to get down hard CS/programming basics. I'd imagine doing this by reading some of the well known books along with programming in C/C++.

    It seems another option would be to just pursue creating a wide range of personal interest projects, such as web development, cool scripts, and generally doing things centering on various technologies. Since I don't have to worry too much about a career yet it could be worth it to not worry about my career yet and go less formal by getting into Python, JS, and making some games.

    Any advice?

    submitted by /u/squirorb
    [link] [comments]

    Are TOD, FCC, and Mozilla worth it for learning web dev?

    Posted: 11 May 2020 03:15 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I'm a Brazilian CS student in my second year and took a project class that you need to build a web site, so I already have some python, java, data structures, and algorithms knowledge. Because of the pandemic, I'm taking this opportunity to study ahead of the class.

    At the moment I'm reading a lot in the MDN Web Docs (Mozilla) tutorial starting guides, doing some activities in FCC (FreeCodeCamp) but then I saw TOP (The Odin Project) and was really interested in it, I'm thinking about looking at some stuff there too. I'm not sure if this is the most optimal way of learning web dev or if I'm just wasting my time doing too many different sites and not focusing on one, I think doing at least two of does is good to complement each other I started doing this about 5 days ago so it's pretty soon to change my strategy.

    I wanted to know from you guys if this is a good approach, how can I improve and what you think about these learning materials.

    submitted by /u/gabrielgns
    [link] [comments]

    Why does a program need to compile?

    Posted: 11 May 2020 06:23 PM PDT

    Why does a program need to be "compiled" after being written, and why (I assume, judging from the Compiling xkcd comic) does it take a long time? I have some very limited experience with Javascript. Why don't Javascript programs need to compile?

    submitted by /u/rogueKlyntar
    [link] [comments]

    Help creating localhost server for my data fetch and chartjs app

    Posted: 11 May 2020 07:27 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, i've been having issues setting up my server to check the results of my code. I was mainly using node.js, express and the nodemon dependency to check changes in my app, but as soon as i introduced threejs or chartjs it stops working since let Chart = require('chart.js'); doesn't work with this type of setup.

    So i ended up switching to parcel, the problem with it is that i cannot fetch data, it doesn't show on my webpage and whenever i fetch a file and console.log it just gives me back my html idk why but i guess its off topic. I'm between both of them, whenever i need to fetch data nodemon and express work great but when i have to use threejs or chartjs libraries i have to switch to parcel

    https://github.com/Rogerpeke97/chart here is the repo, i know the code is a mess but has a lot of trial and error stuff

    I'm trying to host it locally, the server.js and the package.json along with it were a shot in the dark attempts because i cant seem to be able to wrap my head around this.

    The chart works fine with the static folder files but the fetch()gives you back the html page in the console.log.

    Ill gladly answer questions if this seems too vague, thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/rogerpeke97
    [link] [comments]

    How do i build this kind of App in Android Studio

    Posted: 11 May 2020 05:34 AM PDT

    I'm new to programming and never made an App. I've watched tutorials and learning but i don't know the right way to pursue making the app i want to make

    How do i make a messenger app with posts, for example like 9gag with a messenger feature with it. I'm not sure if there's an official name for this kind of app.

    Edit: Thanks for all the comments. I didn't want to give the impression that i wanted to do this all at once and ofc i'll start small and simple but wasn't sure if there was a certain part of Android Studio programming i should focus on learning for this

    submitted by /u/Canistayinthecar
    [link] [comments]

    How would you go about simulating pressures over a system of pipes and valves?

    Posted: 11 May 2020 11:44 AM PDT

    I have a basic idea of how I could make this happen, but it feels like there should be a smarter way.

    There is a system of pipes and valves, where any valves can be open at any time, and any stretch of connected pipe could have any given pressure within that segment. Is there a more dynamic way to calculate pressures for different segments, besides tracking which valves have been opened or closed in which order to determine pressures across the system?

    Do not want to get into specific code, but more of what mindset to approach this problem? If that makes sense

    submitted by /u/L00SE_SEAL
    [link] [comments]

    Emulator Help

    Posted: 11 May 2020 02:28 PM PDT

    I have a relatively obscure issue I'd like to resolve with a Pokémon Platinum ROM. I know this might be the wrong place to post but I'm at my wit's end- thank you to anyone willing to help in advance.

    Is anyone savvy with programs that change Pokémon color palettes? I'm aware of this program: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=345129 but there's a slight problem. I would like to control the color palettes of Pokémon in a Platinum ROM based on type AFTER randomizing their type. This program does not allow me to. For example, if a charmander has been assigned the electric type through the universal Pokémon randomizer, I can't find a program that would allow me to recolor it by type to yellow automatically. This is the only one I can find and it would make it red. I can hand over the randomized .nds if anyone wants to take a swing. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/___RED___
    [link] [comments]

    Here is the question:How to lean algorithm?

    Posted: 11 May 2020 06:25 PM PDT

    Hi, I am not really new in the whole coding thing, I kinda know python java, java script, I had really GOOD TIME with Django and React Native and made some apps that they just worked correct.

    But, in all of this, my apps never done something special, I mean they just store data, show it, change it,and that was all,they never had any algorithm, because: I DON't KNOW ANYTHING about algorithm!

    ask me any question about building an entire application but I can't sort a simple list!

    WHAT DO I DO?

    submitted by /u/MohammadAminAli
    [link] [comments]

    Critique my (entry level) code for my game/portfolio please. Stockwars: a game based on the 1970's DrugWars game

    Posted: 11 May 2020 06:12 PM PDT

    I already graduated two years ago, so don't worry, this isn't homework. I made a GitHub in hopes of getting a job (been applying for helpdesk for two years and have not gotten a single order yet... Friends and Redditors have told me I'm throwing my life away by settling for helpdesk/IT instead of programming, so I'm programming on GitHub to make a portfolio).

    Here's the game itself if you wanna run the exe: tinyurl.com/stockwars1

    And the source code is on GitHub on GitHub.com/moabdali (look for stockwars, but feel free to critique my other software).

    Background: I have two degrees, my second one in computer science. I believe school was complete shit and didn't teach me anything, so I consider my programming skills nonexistent. So instead of looking for programming jobs, I was focused on helpdesk jobs, which I was told by some people that I'm failing not because I'm underqualified for, but significantly overqualified for. So I'm depending on you guys to give me critiques in making a better portfolio so that I can apply for programming jobs. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/OnlySeesLastSentence
    [link] [comments]

    CPU sim - decrement micro instruction

    Posted: 11 May 2020 04:51 PM PDT

    How do you decrement in cpu sim using microinstructions. There are existing "increment" microinstructions. I was able to create my own increment but I'm not too sure on how to create a decrement instruction.

    Is there a possible way to do it.

    Sorry if my post doesn't make much sense.

    submitted by /u/vibrant_kermit
    [link] [comments]

    Jar files

    Posted: 11 May 2020 04:30 PM PDT

    Is there a way to debug jar files?

    submitted by /u/PsychologicalDrawer0
    [link] [comments]

    Programming logic newbe question.

    Posted: 11 May 2020 04:12 PM PDT

    Hello all,

    I'm following a practical networking course at school (ccent & ccna) but due the Covid-19 lockdown we need to do excercises online.

    I finished all my networking excercises and my teacher is giving me other stuff I do not really need to keep me busy.

    He gave me a course about programming logic. Something completely different I'm studying right now.

    Can someone please help me pass this question? I'm breaking my brains over it ;(

    I'm not really good in logic and math. I prefer studying blocks of texts.

    An employee only gets paid 20 days of a certain month. In our company we calculate the daily wage by devididing the monthly wage by 25. Wich variables would you choose? Can you describe how you would solve this problem? 

    My answer so far:

    Variables:

    -monthly wage of the employee

    -worked days this month

    Contstant variable:

    Daily wage factor

    Calculation:

    ?? ._.

    submitted by /u/FatSoyBoy
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to understand where these network requests are hiding

    Posted: 11 May 2020 03:15 PM PDT

    I'm trying to see the requests being made by this IOS app, I'm using Charles proxy, I see a request going to api.branch.io everytime the app is opened or closed, with this similar request structure, with a query called open and a query called closed.

    https://i.imgur.com/3v1MaEp.png

    I'm trying to figure out why these requests that are made by the app are hidden from both fiddler and Charles proxy. Are they just requests not properly following the IOS proxy settings and going over the normal connection or are they some type of requests that aren't able to be recorded by normal proxies?

    Anyone have any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/echocage
    [link] [comments]

    [c++] Best way to convert acronym to full string based on known table.

    Posted: 11 May 2020 03:09 PM PDT

    I have a table with abbreviations and the corresponding values, how do I best create a function to convert between the two?

    If/else works, I guess, but it just looks a bit ugly to me...

    if(stringA == "ABV") { return "Above"; } else if(stringA == "CNL") { return "Cancel"; } ... else { return ""; } 
    submitted by /u/superman_kicks_ass
    [link] [comments]

    Help

    Posted: 11 May 2020 03:04 PM PDT

    Tools for test my CRM app?, i haved made this with PHP7 and MYSQL the API i called with ajax in my html files.

    submitted by /u/gilberthxroot
    [link] [comments]

    Java jar file

    Posted: 11 May 2020 02:25 PM PDT

    Can someone explain to me the steps for exporting my java program to a jar file? Any necessary formats my code need to be in? How to make sure all the code operates well?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/PsychologicalDrawer0
    [link] [comments]

    Question

    Posted: 11 May 2020 02:17 PM PDT

    Hello, would this subreddit be able to help troubleshoot a Nintendo DS ROM issue?

    submitted by /u/___RED___
    [link] [comments]

    Where do you find information?

    Posted: 11 May 2020 01:38 PM PDT

    So I look everything on YouTube or stack overflow but where do you guys find information to solve a problem? Also how do you know what technology or programming language is currently a trend or how do you know which one is going to be a trend ?

    submitted by /u/lucasrouco
    [link] [comments]

    Is my valgrind installation broken? How can i fix this?

    Posted: 11 May 2020 09:17 AM PDT

    This for C language. I was having some trouble with other programs because when i executed with valgrind it always showed memory leaks. So I tried to make the simplest program:

    #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(){ printf("hello \n"); return 0; } 

    And i got all this leaks :

    ==58127== HEAP SUMMARY:

    ==58127== in use at exit: 22,592 bytes in 164 blocks

    ==58127== total heap usage: 185 allocs, 21 frees, 31,040 bytes allocated

    ==58127==

    ==58127== LEAK SUMMARY:

    ==58127== definitely lost: 3,584 bytes in 56 blocks

    ==58127== indirectly lost: 0 bytes in 0 blocks

    ==58127== possibly lost: 72 bytes in 3 blocks

    ==58127== still reachable: 200 bytes in 6 blocks

    ==58127== suppressed: 18,736 bytes in 99 blocks

    ==58127== Rerun with --leak-check=full to see details of leaked memory

    ==58127==

    ==58127== For lists of detected and suppressed errors, rerun with: -s

    ==58127== ERROR SUMMARY: 0 errors from 0 contexts (suppressed: 4 from 4)

    How can this happen?? Is there any way to fix this?? My computer its a MacOs High Sierra 10.13.6

    submitted by /u/HotCeisar
    [link] [comments]

    What are the differences between/how big is the jump from CS courses in universities to an actual job?

    Posted: 11 May 2020 01:02 PM PDT

    I'm pretty new to reddit and didn't see any rules for this subreddit unless I missed them so I hope this question is fine for here, but I was wondering if anyone who's gotten a degree in CS and currently works in the industry could let me know how big the jump between the two is so to speak? I know this probably varies widely based off what university, what level of degree, what courses and what job an individual takes, but I guess I'm just wondering how well others feel their degree prepared them for working in the real world. I'm in the 3rd year of my Bachelor's for a CS degree and while I've gotten straight A's in all of my courses, I sometimes panic and have deep worries about getting an actual career in programming. Despite all of the courses and relative confidence in my abilities, thinking about getting a job with my degree makes me extremely uneasy and worried, it's easy enough to have a professor explain numerous data structures and write up a program that uses said data structures, but thinking about writing and designing actual software seems extremely daunting and to be honest, kind of scary.

    submitted by /u/Sa_tran_ic
    [link] [comments]

    I want to program an application helping me memorize things and have a plan in mind. Could you give me advice on how to proceed?

    Posted: 11 May 2020 12:52 PM PDT

    This program I have in mind should look as follows:

    1. The program reads a table from a document - Google Sheets would be perfect but LibreOffice Calc would be okay too. This table contains a bunch of words which belong to certain categories (e.g. kiwi -> animal, fruit; tower -> building). The program should read this table so that it knows which words belong to which category.
    2. Now I would like that the program, after I press a "Start" button, gives me random words from this list, and I should be able to tell the program how many words I want to have before the start. If I want to restrict my words to a certain category (e.g. "animals"), I should have an option to do that too, so I will only get words from this category.
    3. After pressing "Start", I would like the program to show me these words which disappear after a certain amount of time (which I can also fix before the start).
    4. In the end, I should type in the words which were shown before, and the program should check if I remembered the words correctly.

    I have learned Java on a basic level, so I have an idea of the easiest programming tools (e.g. if-statement, loops etc.). Since I would have always wanted to learn how to create Android Apps, maybe Java is the language to go (according to this subreddit's FAQ) but I am also open to learn another language if you think executing above procedure will be easier that way.

    But my programming skills are rusty since I have not done it years ago, so I have no idea how to go from here. Do you guys have any advice or recommendations?

    Any help is really appreciated!

    submitted by /u/dude_that_needs_help
    [link] [comments]

    hey

    Posted: 11 May 2020 03:27 PM PDT

    How should a beginner start programming?

    submitted by /u/corvuz_07
    [link] [comments]

    How to structure custom MyDocument class in Swift?

    Posted: 11 May 2020 10:58 AM PDT

    Hi, I have quite little experience in building more advanced apps and face trouble structuring my code "correctly".

    I am building an app that would allow browsing and editing a document file. Loading it would involve several steps potentially including decompression and decoding protobuf.

    First I thought of simply creating a document-based Swift app in Xcode. However, I'd also like to use my implementation of this document type handling in future projects, while I can see that default Document class proposed by Xcode forces me to tie it directly to the UI by overriding makeWindowControllers() from NSDocument so I don't think this is the way to go for me.

    I considered creating MyDocument(Kit? as in PDFKit) framework, but if I were to subclass MyDocument from NSDocument I would again be forced to override makeWindowControllers(), while if I subclass it from NSObject I won't be able to use it easily in document-based app (given that it main Document class should be a subclass of NSDocument).

    Could You help me design structure of my code and perhaps suggest where could I learn to handle such issues on my own? Thanks a lot!

    submitted by /u/wadimw
    [link] [comments]

    Using a Raspberry pi 3 A+ (512 mb ram) with ubuntu as an online cloud server.

    Posted: 11 May 2020 10:33 AM PDT

    Hi! I wonder if it's possibile to install a full version of Ubuntu (64bit) (not the server core edition) on this model and if it could be used for a personal online cloud (like Dropbox), with an esternal hdd (i mean... is it "enough"?)

    submitted by /u/iamagro
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment