• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 10, 2019

    What are some easy/small things that you do that makes your website look prettier? web developers

    What are some easy/small things that you do that makes your website look prettier? web developers


    What are some easy/small things that you do that makes your website look prettier?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 02:43 AM PST

    One thing that troubles me a lot after coding some functionality is making it all look good. What are some small tips you know of that can make things look better?

    Here are some things that I do:

    • I use box-shadowing to pop things out so everything doesn't look flat.

    • I've been looking at different Google Fonts and trying out different ones.

    • I use Color Scheme Designer to find nice looking color schemes.

    • I'll use a little bit of border-radius so things don't look so square.

    Please share any tips of yours!

    submitted by /u/Dasaru
    [link] [comments]

    How the heck did they do this?!

    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 02:12 PM PST

    Noob here. Any idea how the developer achieved this strange perspective effect?

    Best viewed on a desktop.

    link

    submitted by /u/rymardun
    [link] [comments]

    Facebook is manipulating the browser history to keep users on the site longer

    Posted: 09 Jan 2019 05:24 PM PST

    Maybe this isn't news to anyone, but if you go to facebook and then type in a new url into the address bar, navigate to that, and then press the back button, your forward button is overwritten to keep you on facebook. Is this practiced widely? I've never come across it before.

    submitted by /u/dreamofwaking851
    [link] [comments]

    Developers who work remotely 100%, how did you land the position and what has your experience been?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 03:19 PM PST

    What resource did you use to find the job?

    Was the interview process any different?

    Is the day-to-day pretty similar to being in an office?

    How is the job stability (i.e., have you stayed with the company for a while, switched around a lot; was it your decision or did the company let you go)?

    How do the benefits, compensation, and reviews compare (i.e., 401(k), medical, allowances, bonuses, equity, annual merit increases, weekly/monthly meetings on the work you are doing)?

    How is the upward mobility and room for advancement?

    Do you find yourself being distracted and how do yo deal with it?

    Thinking about perusing this myself so I can move somewhere more reasonable, in a location more ideal for me, and still make roughly what I make now. My primary concerns are:

    - Stability: I'm almost 40 and jumping from job to job just doesn't work for me anymore.

    - Benefits: who doesn't want good benefits?

    - Lack of feedback: I currently have weekly 1-to-1 meetings with my boss; I know exactly where I stand, what is expected of me, and what I need to work on--there are no surprises

    - Compensation stagnation: "Hey, you're just some guy that lives in the woods in the mountains... we totally forgot to review your compensation in relation to your work... or at least give you that 3% merit increase."

    - Visibility, recognition and advancement: see the previous... "We don't know how this feature got written, it must have just magically happened!"

    - Distraction: Personal problem...

    submitted by /u/strumpy_strudel
    [link] [comments]

    AWS sends MongoDB shares down 14% with DocumentDB, gives open source the finger

    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 06:05 AM PST

    !Must see! - Webpack founder Tobias Koppers demos bundling live by hand

    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 05:25 AM PST

    What is this mobile search feature?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 08:23 AM PST

    Designing the Flexbox Inspector

    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 11:25 AM PST

    How Should I deal with recruiters?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 09:49 AM PST

    I constantly get messages via LinkedIn etc. from people who claim they are looking for Developers, most of them label themselves as ' consultants' or ' managers' etc. Since most jobs sound too good to be true I figure that they are probably looking to exploit me in some way, however, I also don't want to turn away actual job opportunities, may they arise. Does anyone have any (positive) experience with recruiters/recruitment agencies or should I just Ignore that?

    submitted by /u/cubef0x
    [link] [comments]

    How I Organize my GitHub Repositories

    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 02:23 PM PST

    Places asking for NodeJS experience clarification

    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 12:56 PM PST

    When talking to recruiters, after telling them about my web experience (React with Redux, Angular) they still ask if I have experience working with Node. I've written node modules, I've used a ton of others node modules... Is this enough to confidently say yes to this question? I feel like Node is so commonly used these days, but maybe I have a misunderstanding of the true nature of Node.

    So my question is, when should I be able to confidently say that I know Node?

    submitted by /u/ryonean
    [link] [comments]

    Remove unused css and duplicated css rules.

    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 04:41 AM PST

    Mariano Pascual

    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 10:31 AM PST

    [Push] OneSignal now charging me $99/month after using them for years as I have more than 30K web subscribers

    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 04:02 PM PST

    This feels like extortion. I've used OneSignal for years, and I have well over 100k subscribers on web, and out of the blue I get an email that suddenly they are going to start charging me $99 a month, however, I'm certain when I signed up originally it was marketed as "free forever" or something of that nature.

    Anyone else get this email this morning? I'm sharpening my pitchfork.

    submitted by /u/KuyaEduard
    [link] [comments]

    Nat Geo's home page has gone gloriously 90's for the day

    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 11:32 AM PST

    Looking for thoughts and opinions on PWAs

    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 11:25 AM PST

    Building PWAs is something of a hot trend at the moment, but I'm wondering about the actual utility of a few aspects. Google contributes toward a guideline for what constitutes a PWA, saying that they are "reliable, fast, and engaging". Installing on a user's home screen, and allowing push notifications are two of the major features that comprise the "engaging" portion.

    I'm wondering what you all's thoughts are on these features specifically. My own sense is that for the majority of PWAs, and for the majority of users, these features are really nothing but a nuisance. Am I wrong? I'm probably wrong, but I'd like to hear anyone's argument in support of PWAs (specifically, the part about being engaging), that takes this into account.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/falafalful
    [link] [comments]

    You Can Cheat When Fixing HTML Accessibility in Legacy Code

    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 11:19 AM PST

    Designing the Flexbox Inspector – Mozilla Hacks - the Web developer blog

    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 02:44 PM PST

    I started a new subreddit yesterday: come ask devs questions or host your own office hours on r/DevOfficeHours

    Posted: 09 Jan 2019 07:08 PM PST

    Prettier formatting extension and HTML

    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 02:19 PM PST

    I use VS Code, and I love Prettier for almost every language I use, however, formatting my html screws it up. It doesn't preserve nested elements the way I want. Here is an example. I definitely don't want this. I have tried playing around with all the prettier settings, have html settings to preserve new lines, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/Dnlgrwd
    [link] [comments]

    Video thumbnail for reddit

    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 01:59 PM PST

    Hi, I have a site which hosts videos. The problem is that when I submit it to reddit there is no thumbnail for the post. How would I make it so reddit gets a video thumbnail? Thanks

    submitted by /u/meatmanlong
    [link] [comments]

    ETH Gas Scan App Developed by Kaleidoscope the DAO ( Junior Devs)

    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 01:52 PM PST

    Aloha! We Finished our first Free blockchain based app . Check it out! https://gascan-18eed.firebaseapp.com/index It scans the blockchain and adds up all your gas fees from any given time frame on any contract address for any account address and outputs the total amount spent. We are looking for more Junior devs and crypto enthusiasts at Kaleidoscope: https://kld.life/

    submitted by /u/McNattyDread
    [link] [comments]

    Holy Confucious, how was this made??

    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 01:28 PM PST

    Co-worker just showed me a web page on her alma mater's site:

    https://udayton.edu/china_institute/

    Looking at the source code, there's no trace of any prepackaged Wordpress/Squarespace/etc. theme. Looks like it was made using a custom framework.

    How would you go about making something like this? Total noob here, just curious... some sort of JS framework?

    submitted by /u/frog-legg
    [link] [comments]

    A Beginner, looking for a way forward. Advice Needed.

    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 01:25 PM PST

    Hello all. I'm an aspiring web developer/ programmer. This line of work has always appealed to me but I never acted on it. I'm contemplating a career change and need some guidance. I believe that I can use a number of internet resources to learn the fundamentals/basics of web development. Code Academy and Udemy have been recommended. That being said, how does one establish experience or work history in the field with out any type of certificate or credential? I'd rather not pay upwards of $10k for a boot camp or start an entire degree program over again. Any advice is welcome.

    submitted by /u/wees25
    [link] [comments]

    What KPI's for in-house full stack developer?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 01:22 PM PST

    Hey guys,

    To those who either are developers and have KPI's or to people who manage developers with KPI's, what have you found to be useful, tangible, applicable measures of performance?

    Our company is an online retailer so the development jobs are all for either our e-commerce website, or our in-house shipping and logistics software.

    Curious to hear what has worked well and what hasn't.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/lowcarbgiant
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment