• Breaking News

    Wednesday, August 28, 2019

    Where in the world are the 8,000+ gamedev job openings?

    Where in the world are the 8,000+ gamedev job openings?


    Where in the world are the 8,000+ gamedev job openings?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 09:41 PM PDT

    fully procedurally animated half man (WIP)

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 10:30 AM PDT

    Someone released (almost) a clone of my game and I don't know what to do

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 08:37 AM PDT

    I've had an interesting idea for a physics-based puzzle game 2 years ago. At the time I did not have much time to build games but the idea stuck with me.

    One year ago, I decided to seriously work on it, and that it would be a mobile game. Soon after I started, I negotiated with my employer to work part-time to be able to finish this game. It's based on a simple idea, yet it's very versatile. The game is coming along pretty nicely, and I've had positive reactions from people who played it. Right now I haven't done too much marketing, just the basic talking about it and sharing updates on Twitter.

    A few weeks ago someone announced the release of their game on Reddit. A friend noticed it in their feed and how the gameplay was very similar to my game and sent the thread to me. In fact the gameplay idea is exactly the same.

    And it did really well, it got tens of thousands of upvotes and now it has more than 100k downloads on Google Play.

    At first I was very scared. It felt like if I was cloned. After doing some research it appears we both came up with the idea independently (they had the idea during a game jam).

    I cooled down a bit since, and like my friend says, it shows that people love the concept which is a great sign.

    I don't want to do damage to either game, since the other person seems to be a nice indie coding this on their own just like me. If we both were just starting our projects I would probably have talked to them to see if they would consider joining our efforts.

    But their game is finished, and mine is nearing completion too. Though they are based on the same concept, both games are different obviously. So I think players will also find interest in my game. Actually, this is probably a great opportunity for me to find players. Maybe I'll get in touch with the other dev to suggest doing a cross-promotion, but honestly right now the idea of talking to them still scares me.

    Also, since their posts about the game did was so well received, I want to post on /r/gaming just like they did. But I haven't so far. I know that a few of the people that will see my posts will remember the other game, and to tell you the truth, I'm afraid they'll think I cloned it.

    Has any of you been in a similar situation? What would you do?

    submitted by /u/CloneGameThrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    Why Blink codec is so popular for video games

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 10:59 AM PDT

    I understand that it is used by some wildly used engines like Unreal or Unity, however I often see it used in other games. Is it really superior to other codecs? What features are unique? Or is it much cheaper option than licensing HEVC or something like that?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/lzap
    [link] [comments]

    Choosing the right engine/language for a "CYOA text adventure" game

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 07:36 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I've got a quick and hopefully not too dumb question

    I want to make a rather simple text adventure game where you navigate locations/interact with things/fight/etc all by pressing UI buttons, sort of like a CYOA game but with the ability to backtrack freely instead of just progressing through without being able to return to previous locations

    for example: move from point A to point B, do some stuff, talk to some NPCs, kill stuff, then return to A, and so on.

    that's pretty much the rough description of it, any idea where should I start/what language or engine I should take a look at?

    I've got a rough understanding of frontend web dev already, but am completely inexperienced with game development

    Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/Tinkercide
    [link] [comments]

    Deploying a video game to Steam with GitLab CI

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 12:04 PM PDT

    is LOVE2d a good starting point for a beginner ?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 09:06 AM PDT

    i was trying to get into game development lately so i researched about some engines and it seems that starting with 2D will be good for me. so i reached to 4 choices, LOVE2D , Godot , HaxeFlixel , Unity ( 2D ). i kind of dont want to begin with unity as a 2d engine. i think its meant to be 3D or there are other better 2D options. i like Love2D it got a great feedback and seems super beginner friendly, also school is coming so i wont have alot of time so i want to learn Love2D as it has an android app i can use anytime and its programming language seems good. so i wanted to ask the gamedev community :

    1. What engine did u begin with ? did it help you in ur beginning ?
    2. Is love2d good as a beginning ( ik i should choose what engine i want to use but iam just asking for opinions ), if not then can u recommend me an engine i could go with for the beginning ?

    thanks to anybody who will answer :')

    submitted by /u/LenoFo
    [link] [comments]

    4D game engine

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 05:15 AM PDT

    Hello community! I am wondering if there is an existing 4D game engine(4d graphics, 4d physics etc.). And if yes is it high performance? I am asking, because I am creating one and I want to see this kind of engine in action. Thanks for your time!

    submitted by /u/stanimir_kolev
    [link] [comments]

    Is my game even worth continuing?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 11:10 AM PDT

    Hey, so I'm not really experienced in code at all, however I have created a sandbox game that has cube like minecraft building, an infinite smooth voxel world and some tools to edit the terrain. I've been on and off with making this project and have finally made some good progress but I am not sure its interesting enough to play. Im just trying to make a heavily modable sandbox game. Heres some pictures and I guess if people want I can post a beta link.

    Edit: I think my game is interesting/will be as I continue but I am not sure if it will be for others.

    https://i.redd.it/llt3p8r3d8j31.jpg

    submitted by /u/Chrislightsaber
    [link] [comments]

    For practice I cooked up this beetle-bug platformer with some free assets and a beetle sprite from shovel knight! Just felt like sharing one of my first creations :)

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 01:02 PM PDT

    Where to start

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 12:44 PM PDT

    Hey everyone!

    Im kinda new to gamedevelopment. Are there any tips where to start? Probably rather Unity than a game from scratch with c++? Set the goals high or rather a small 2d game in the beginning which could be finished in 2-3 months?

    Thank!

    submitted by /u/thomas_thoe
    [link] [comments]

    Sub-path finding on an existing path.

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 12:32 PM PDT

    I am looking to have an object follow a set path, however be able to circumnavigate obstacles on that path. I also aim to have an entire area covered, like a patrol. The best analogy I have found so far is a lawnmower. You mow up and down the yard, dodging rocks, etc. as you go.

    I have looked at many popular pathfinding algorithms, and I have my object following the pattern, but I'm not quite sure how to implement planning the "path within a path" correctly. My first thought is to simply create minimal circles around obstacles and navigate around parts of the perimeters as they are found to be in the way.

    I run into a problem when one of those obstacles is bigger than two passes, because now there is overlap in the paths, which throws off some of the methods I have tried. I would appreciate any help figuring out this issue.

    Also, the object can only move forward.

    submitted by /u/AllCombosTaken
    [link] [comments]

    Grid Shader in Unity LWRP - Shader Graph Tutorial

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 12:10 PM PDT

    Mmorpg design

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 12:00 PM PDT

    I've seen countless posts on individuals that want to develop an mmorpg (as do I). I took it upon myself to do some research on it and came to a conclusion that it's unrealistic. My question is, why don't you all band together and make a game as a group?

    I understand that there will be discrepencies on what game to build. I understand that without good leadership, a solid outline of what the game is meant to be, and a large financial investment that it would still be impossible to do.

    Coding is beyond me. Networking is beyond me. I suck at graphic design. Storyboarding and game features are my specialty. I want to see WoW sent to the grave and have it replaced by a game that has over a dozen classes. I want to see a fully customizable guild system. I want to see 30+ game races. I want to see a game that redefines mmorpgs as a whole.

    I dont understand why some 10 thousand up and coming developers are trying to tackle a 100 person job by themselves, when they could easily network out and form an army of game designers that could take on a challenge for the ages.

    Anybody have any clue why nobody preaches networking and working in a like minded group?

    That's the best advice that i can offer anybody looking to develop an mmo. Find some help. Make a legacy.

    submitted by /u/sovereignking13
    [link] [comments]

    Im about to release my first game on steam. r/gamedev, what are some good legal principles to know when releasing a game? Copyright, trademark, taxes, etc.

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 11:52 AM PDT

    So yeah, as the title states, getting ready to drop my first game (super duper excited), and I've read a few things here and there on this subreddit that give me just a smidgeon of pause for concern. Was hoping we could get all of that stuff on one thread.

    So, on the subject of everything that isn't making your game but still essential for publishing the right and safe way, I'd like to hear from you guys about your experience and knowledge regarding anything and everything you know/think you know. This could include everything from copyright, trademark/trademark in different languages, dealing with taxes, royalties (both incoming and outgoing), whatever. I didn't go to school for this stuff and I jumped out pretty much totally on my own and I know practically nothing besides what I had to learn to actually make the thing.

    submitted by /u/Cloel
    [link] [comments]

    Should I make games under my real name or a pseudonym?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 11:42 AM PDT

    Up until now, I've been making games as a hobby and releasing them under my username, which tends to be the same for most platforms I'm on. However, as part of trying to publicize myself more, I'm planning on making a second Twitter account to post exclusively game dev related things, and I'm conflicted on whether I should keep using my username, or switch to my real name for game dev. My username isn't particularly well known or anything, but seeing how I already use it for a lot of personal stuff, I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Sciman1011
    [link] [comments]

    Royalty Free Fast-Paced Cyberpunk-esque Music (Also Looking For Composer Positions/Commissions)

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 07:36 AM PDT

    Dark Patterns in Gaming

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 04:16 PM PDT

    What's the hardest part about working in a game company?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 07:41 PM PDT

    Newbie to gamedev planning to start my first project

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 10:07 PM PDT

    Hi, one thing ive never understood about game dev is how you can have 2-3 engineers working together on the same project. This whole time ive just been doing really simple solo projects, but recently ive found some friends who are willing to start a project with me. How, though, do 2-3 different programmers work on the same game code? Can someone pls explain >.<

    submitted by /u/corubi
    [link] [comments]

    How common is it for players to use their GPU control panel to universally disable vsync?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 06:47 AM PDT

    I'm working on fine-tuning a game loop so that it runs at a smooth 60fps on monitors with a refresh rate above 60hz.

    On Windows, it will make my life a lot easier if I can rely on vsync being enabled, since Windows doesn't have any other way to reliably sleep for a predictable interval, and I don't want to busy-wait the processor. (Mac and Linux both offer a highly-accurate sleep, so that's less of an issue.)

    However, while researching this problem, I've found a few different resources which warn against relying on vsync, because it's possible that the user may override your preferences by directly configuring their GPU.

    I'm aware this is something which players do fairly frequently for individual games. However, my game is a 2D platformer with no "vsync" setting in the menu, and I find it unlikely that a user would go out of their way to disable vsync for this game specifically. Therefore, this will only become a problem if my player has disabled vsync for every game in their driver settings.

    Is this at all likely?

    submitted by /u/rime-frost
    [link] [comments]

    How to correctly transform an object picked by a ray?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 06:40 AM PDT

    I have a matrix for the vive controller and I am casting a ray to check for intersections. Now I want to be able to move the object in space if the ray hits it, but I am not really that familiar with the maths. I tried to multiply the world matrix of any picked object by the vive controller matrix but that didn't work for me. Setting the object's world matrix to the vive controller matrix makes it possible to move the object but then its obviously directly where the model for the controller is.

    How would one transform a picked object?

    Any help is highly appreciated

    submitted by /u/N30__
    [link] [comments]

    WIP Wednesday #125

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 01:37 AM PDT

    What is WIP Wednesday?

    Share your work-in-progress (WIP) prototype, feature, art, model or work-in-progress game here and get early feedback from, and give early feedback to, other game developers.

    RULES

    • Do promote good feedback and interesting posts, and upvote those who posted it! Also, don't forget to thank the people who took some of their time to write some feedback or encouraging words for you, even if you don't agree with what they said.
    • Do state what kind of feedback you want. We realise this may be hard, but please be as specific as possible so we can help each other best.
    • Do leave feedback to at least 2 other posts. It should be common courtesy, but just for the record: If you post your work and want feedback, give feedback to other people as well.
    • Do NOT post your completed work. This is for work-in-progress only, we want to support each other in early phases (It doesn't have to be pretty!).
    • Do NOT try to promote your game to game devs here, we are not your audience. You may include links to your game's website, social media or devblog for those who are interested, but don't push it; this is not for marketing purposes.

    Remember to use #WIPWednesday on social media for additional feedback and exposure!

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.

    All Previous WIP Wednesdays

    submitted by /u/Pidroh
    [link] [comments]

    A platformer about sacrificing movements in order to progress. I need an idea how to transition from happy to fricked up atmosphere (More details)

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 09:08 AM PDT

    Hi! My game's concept is sacrificing your movement(Ex. Jump, moving left, right) to gain more speed/jump height. The game starts as a happy and warm/sweet platformer where you need to go to your significant one to proceed to the next level. I want to introduce the sacrifice-your-movement mechanic around level 5 (Planning on making 10 levels because this is just a game jam), and make the levels seem more and more creepy and fucked up as you progress. Any suggestions? Oh and I was planning on making the levels seem like a house

    submitted by /u/WaffleGum_
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment