• Breaking News

    Friday, May 22, 2020

    CompSci Weekend SuperThread (May 22, 2020) Computer Science

    CompSci Weekend SuperThread (May 22, 2020) Computer Science


    CompSci Weekend SuperThread (May 22, 2020)

    Posted: 21 May 2020 06:04 PM PDT

    /r/compsci strives to be the best online community for computer scientists. We moderate posts to keep things on topic.

    This Weekend SuperThread provides a discussion area for posts that might be off-topic normally. Anything Goes: post your questions, ideas, requests for help, musings, or whatever comes to mind as comments in this thread.

    Pointers

    • If you're looking to answer questions, sort by new comments.
    • If you're looking for answers, sort by top comment.
    • Upvote a question you've answered for visibility.
    • Downvoting is discouraged. Save it for discourteous content only.

    Caveats

    • It's not truly "Anything Goes". Please follow Reddiquette and use common sense.
    • Homework help questions are discouraged.
    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Breadth-First Maze-Solving Algorithm

    Posted: 22 May 2020 03:39 AM PDT

    Books, resources on advanced data structures (Van Emde Boas trees, suffix trees etc.)

    Posted: 21 May 2020 11:21 PM PDT

    Does anyone know of any good books on advanced data structures? I'm thinking stuff like X/Y-fast tries, range minimum queries and so on. I've scoured this sub and StackOverflow but haven't been able to find any good books on the subject.

    Any suggestions much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/virtua_golf
    [link] [comments]

    [R] Cross-domain Correspondence Learning for Exemplar-based Image Translation

    Posted: 21 May 2020 08:40 AM PDT

    We invited Bo Zhang, the co-author of the paper Cross-domain Correspondence Learning for Exemplar-based Image Translation, to share this research.

    "We present a general framework for exemplar-based image translation, which synthesizes a photo-realistic image from the input in a distinct domain (e.g., semantic segmentation mask, or edge map, or pose keypoints), given an exemplar image. The output has the style (e.g., color, texture) in consistency with the semantically corresponding objects in the exemplar. Our method is superior to state-of-the-art methods in terms of image quality significantly, with the image style faithful to the exemplar with semantic consistency. Moreover, we show the utility of our method for several applications."

    Here is the read: Cross-domain Correspondence Learning for Exemplar-based Image Translation

    The paper Cross-domain Correspondence Learning for Exemplar-based Image Translation is on arXiv. Click here to visit the project website.

    Share your research with us by clicking here.

    submitted by /u/Yuqing7
    [link] [comments]

    How to be productive in the summer?

    Posted: 21 May 2020 04:16 PM PDT

    I just finished my first year as a CS Major but I didn't get an internship so my parents are getting mad at me for being unproductive. They want me to do a side project over the summer. But I'm having trouble coming up with ideas that I can do. What are some things or projects that I can do to stay productive?

    submitted by /u/JakeHassle
    [link] [comments]

    Handling multiple users with couchdb

    Posted: 22 May 2020 06:03 AM PDT

    I'm working on a project where my couchdb server needs to handle several documents sorted by date each associated with a user. The user wouldn't be accessing couchdb directly. The user accesses a web app that then connects to couchdb.

    It seems to me that there are two ways to do this:

    1. Put all documents in the same database and use a view to sort the documents into order of user and date. Then use GET requests to request only the documents belonging to a specific user.
    2. Use a separate database for each user and use a view to sort the documents only according to date.

    Each user could potentially have thousands of documents associated with it and there could potentially be thousands of users. Each user would presumably be editing/creating/deleting several documents every day.

    Would having thousands of dbs in couchdb be a problem? Would generating a view with potentially millions of items be a problem? And as the documents would be constantly changing, would the remapping of view with millions of items be a larger performance issue than the remapping of view for fewer items but for every single user instead?

    Anything else I should be thinking about?

    Any advice is appreciated or if you have any examples of how you or others have handled multiple web app users together with couchdb.

    submitted by /u/pink-carp
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a problem or invention that will make its owner rich if it is solved or invented in computer science?

    Posted: 22 May 2020 05:55 AM PDT

    How can I publish a Java project onto a website where people can go and play the game?

    Posted: 22 May 2020 05:05 AM PDT

    I made this Java game and I was wondering how I can share with my friends. Because no one I know has a JDK installed in their computers, I can't just send them a jar file. I want to upload it to a website so that people can just type the address and go play it right away.

    Kind of like https://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/ where it just takes you to the game.

    How do I do this?

    submitted by /u/NotVector
    [link] [comments]

    Value of a Domain Specific Language for Table Top Roleplaying games?

    Posted: 21 May 2020 03:37 PM PDT

    So my dungeons and dragons group has been meeting online because of the plague and I've been left unimpressed by all the digital tools I've seen for playing so far. They're really quite limited. I had some ideas as to why and they were mostly confirmed when I started working on some related projects of my own, there's a huge number of rules and variables to keep track of and even more interactions between them.

    Even something as simple sounding as a digital notebook for dungeon masters would require a very badass backend database with tons of constraints / references to really shine.

    This has me thinking; instead of a mountain of spaghetti code and associated ills this seems like a good application for a DSL defining a particular game. Built into a library it could track and modify the game's state and model through an interface instead of a giant mess of tables / conditional logic.

    There's already a general purpose game language that could serve as a good basis / proof of concept

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Description_Language

    What are your thoughts on this idea?

    submitted by /u/Ulysses-X
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone does this edx course with DartmouthX? If so, was it worth it?

    Posted: 21 May 2020 10:11 PM PDT

    Need Zkoss (ZK 8) learning resources / tutorial

    Posted: 21 May 2020 09:39 PM PDT

    Need to learn Zkoss 8 for an internship. The company set is as a requirement. I got the basic jist of it where it seems somewhat simliar to JavaFX with it's 'Simple Java Integration', overiding methods and linking to a controller. I need a good resource from where I can start some tutorial / code with some amount of explanation.

    submitted by /u/Dojo9
    [link] [comments]

    What innovative/ambitious research project would you undertake had you the time and resources for it (Coronavirus/Lockdown Edition)?

    Posted: 21 May 2020 06:08 PM PDT

    Aside from a time machine (haha), I'd probably go with finding cheaper alternatives to mass producing artificial organs and such.

    I'm curious what other people would pursue given the time and resources for it, no matter how ambitious and revolutionary the prospect is (though be serious in the sense of not saying something like "I'm gonna invent unicorns" or anything haha). What would you do (preferrably, in relation to the growing Corona pandemic/lockdowns)?

    submitted by /u/Aggressive-Zombie
    [link] [comments]

    How are publications in bioinformatic-type peer reviewed journals viewed in the CS/ML community?

    Posted: 21 May 2020 05:29 PM PDT

    I am particularly interested in ML and I know that generally the machine learning community wants to see publications in CS conferences over peer-reviewed journals, except perhaps if the publication is in Nature or Science.

    Since I am not yet at a level where I can produce a top CS conference paper, but I do have a lot of bio domain knowledge and I am proficient in applying common ML/DL algorithms. So I have a choice to make based on an opportunity. I can either produce a bioinformatic research paper which incorporates deep learning and classical ML and publish in a decent bioinformatic journal. Or I can take on an internship which involves no machine learning at all, but I will gain more programing experience.

    I don't have any idea how valuable a publication like this will be on a resume so I don't have any means to compare trade-offs between the two options. My goal career is along the line of machine learning engineering and perhaps data scientist.

    submitted by /u/insanelylogical
    [link] [comments]

    Switching Careers: Master's in Tech--what school?

    Posted: 21 May 2020 12:03 PM PDT

    Hello! I am 26 year old looking to switch careers to compsci. I currently do freelance webdev and data analysis work. I know HTML, CSS, Javascript (no frameworks yet but I'm getting there), PHP, Python, and MySQL.

    I really enjoy learning. The entire process. So I want to get an online Master's degree since my BFA is in... well obviously fine arts. I want to get into a program that's known for being a good one, but I'll admit that's just for bragging rights. I work full time on top of my freelance work so while cost is a factor (there's a reason I'm switching fields), it's not the biggest factor.

    Any recommendations on schools for online master's degrees in compsci that balance practical applications of knowledge and price? Where did you go? Was it worth it?

    submitted by /u/alexisrambles
    [link] [comments]

    How can I read machine code from my own computer?

    Posted: 21 May 2020 11:49 AM PDT

    Is there any sort of way I can be read out the machine code being sent to my CPU? Practically it'd only be a fraction of a second worth of code, but I'd love to actually have some way of reading it. I googled around but I only saw explanation videos, which I'd imagine to be useful, but I need to obtain machine code before I can try and read it myself.

    Maybe hooking up a oscilloscope to my motherboard could work...

    submitted by /u/Silverwhite2
    [link] [comments]

    Is compsci worth pursuing?

    Posted: 21 May 2020 10:10 AM PDT

    I was accepted into a STEM program and had the option of picking a pursuing a math, science, or computer science degree(2year). I'm wondering if it's worth going for a 4yr degree because I want to also do physics and aerospace engineering.

    submitted by /u/Sir-Sapped
    [link] [comments]

    Which one is better? A big application or multiple smaller ones?

    Posted: 21 May 2020 09:40 AM PDT

    It's a theoritical question about structuring an application with a lot of bots.

    What do you think, which one is better and why?

    A) A big "multi-tenant" platform with a lot of bots, where the bots share together the database, the user management class, the text recognition class and other "basic need" classes

    B) Every bot has it's own place and his own set of classes even if the classes are dupes of each other

    **EDIT:** I just wanted to start a conversation in the theme. I don't know why downvoted it guys...

    submitted by /u/Feral_Heart
    [link] [comments]

    Bs mathematics

    Posted: 21 May 2020 04:58 AM PDT

    If a person graduate a degree with Bs mathematics. she/he can be a programmer?

    submitted by /u/Lorenzomigel
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment